Samsung SmartThings Smart Starter Kit
Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit
SmartThings home monitoring kit (UK version here).
Even though Coronavirus Disease COVID-19 pandemic is waning, working from home is the new norm now. Since everybody is spending more time at home, SmartThings starter kit is useful for making home appliances smarter in terms of time saving and touch-free operation.
SmartThings hub’s battery backup is used to be a unique advantage not available in most smart controllers. Unfortunately, this advantage is gone with controller V3. The good news is the newer controller is cheaper. As the most popular smart controller in the market, expansion with 3rd-party smart devices is least of our concern. For US starter kit, the controller is still V2 with battery backup. While UK starter kit comes with controller V3 without battery backup.
Note: SmartThings ADT Home Security Start Kit is not suitable outside US because the professional monitoring services are available in US only. Without this service, SmartThings home monitoring kit is a more cost-effective choice.
Why This Smart Starter Kit is Our First Choice
With the most popular smart controller in the market, SmartThings starter kit is our first choice easily. In contrast, most starter kits do not work well with 3rd-party smart devices. This will limit homeowner’s option for future expansion with other fantastic smart devices. These are the top 5 reasons:
- Future expansion with other smart devices is the biggest selling point since very few of them are incompatible with SmartThings controller.
- The controller is suitable for all countries since the power rating is universal.
- Common sensors like motion detection, multipurpose, water leak, arrival, tracker are available for expansion. So are smart plug, security cam, smart bulb and more.
- Support both Z-Wave and ZigBee which are the most popular wireless communication protocol used by most smart devices.
- International delivery from are available.
How This Smart Starter Kit Helps Us Work Smarter
While working from home, keeping track of all the activities going around the home is bad for focusing on work. SmartThings starter kit helps to monitor home and more, all within a unified user interface. Monitor home and control home appliances quickly or automatically:
- Free SmartThings app is available for setting up everything in the box and adding 3rd-party smart devices; group multiple devices and operate them as one; operate devices automatically based on time and operating conditions; notification for the status of the devices.
- Connect any SmartThings or 3rd-party smart devices to the controller by selecting 120+ supported brands (Arlo, August Home, Belkin Wemo, First Alert, Kwikset, LIFX, Phlips Hue, Schlage, TP-Link etc) in the app.
- Control 40+ supported home appliances and devices including AV, refrigerator, robot vacuum, TV, washer, camera, door lock, lighting, motion sensor, multipurpose sensor, outlet, smoke/fire detector, water leak sensor and more.
- Voice control on smart devices when connected to smart speaker like Google Assistant.
- Select a scene where several smart devices are running as a group, eg Break Time – dim the light, on the music, brew the coffee etc.
- Run several smart devices automatically when a condition is fulfilled, eg Relax – If work light is off, then on the TV etc.
- Activate SmartApp in the app to perform a function, eg SmartThings Home Monitor – use motion detector and door open to turn on lights and send notification.
When Our First Choice Becomes Even Better
We’ve very few complains on this smart starter kit except:
- The controller should support all Z-Wave smart devices from both US and UK/EU (note: the frequencies are different).
- Smart plug in the kit should be of universal plug type so that it’s applicable in all countries.
- Warranty should be valid world-wide.
What to Check Before Buying
Verify that you can download the free app and run the app in your smartphone. If you can’t find this app in your local Google Play store or Apple App Store, then download the app from US app store directly.
Where to Go From Here
Due to the international shipping costs and custom duties, it’s worth buying locally even when the price is slightly higher than oversea prices. The only 2 reasons why you should buy the recommended items here are: 1) the items are not available locally, 2) the local prices are significantly higher.
SmartThings Home Monitoring is our first choice smart starter kit but don’t just take our words for it. Explore our top choice for more comparison.
Interested in finding out what other best smart home devices can work with this smart starter kit while staying at home? Check out our home page for more best smart home ideas.
We love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.
Leave A Comment